We are all guilty of taking e mail availability for granted, rather like expecting our car to start when we turn the key.
As industry professionals you are aware how important regular vehicle maintenance is in maintaining reliability. Email is similar in so much as it needs to be maintained, and the following tips will help with continuity and reliability of service.
As a matter of urgency, please review the following:
DELETE Spam, Junk & empty deleted folder regularly.
- Excess data in both e-mail and digital document folders can cause your computer to slow down, and cause congestion as it makes it harder for information to pass through.
It is no different than having a hallway full of clutter, it makes it difficult for you to get through.
ENSURE your Antivirus Software & Firewall is up to date and Active.
- Firewall – Most computers have these as standard. Why? A software firewall will protect your computer from outside attempts to control or gain access to your computer (hacking).
- Antivirus Software – A software which acts as a ‘policemen’ at the gate of your computer system. This protects the computer from incoming threats and seeks out, destroys and warns of possible threats to the system. New viruses are being created all the time. It is the job of the antivirus software to keep up with the latest threats.
DO NOT open mail with attachments that you do not recognize.
- Check before your open! E-mails received from unknown sources could contain a virus! (If you are not familiar with the sender then don’t open it, ‘report as spam’ & delete.)
*By reporting unwanted e-mails as SPAM this will allow your computer to automatically categorise future e-mails to reduce your chance of threat. These e-mails will then be stored in the junk folder for easy deletion.
ENSURE you run all the essential computer updates Close/restart your applications & computers regularly to ensure updates are activated.
- Your computer should automatically advise when there are updates available. On windows based computers you will get an option to ‘update and shut down’ when shutting down your systems. Not only does this ensure your computer is up to date but also installs updates when you are finished with your computer, at the end of the day perhaps, as to not interfere with your work.
ENSURE you have your Passwords, safe and to hand in the event of any issues. – This will help us to help you.
Often logging in and out of an account, to effectively ‘reset’ it, can resolve simple issues. If you do not have your password stored safely or to hand when it is needed, this can cause delays for both yourselves and your IT support.
These basic maintenance tasks must be carried out to protect your functionality and secure server space.
Should you require support in this regard please contact your Local or in house IT provider direct.
The Wearewood Team will be happy to point you in the right direction